It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Post subject: NWN's 10 year anniversary!
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
DM

from the general bioware discussion boards:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 1#11852419

BelowTheBelt wrote:
Guess what?

NWN is turning 10! According to Wikipedia (the end-all-be-all-source-of-indisputable-truth) the original version was launched in the US on June 18, 2002 and on July 3, 2002 in Europe. Wow. To be here, still playing the game with the community as strong as it is, the players still playing, and the developers still developing is a testament to the revolutionary game that we all love.

Juxtapose that milestone birthday with the PW community's need to retain said community, players, and developers in the face of ever newer hardware/OS systems and newer games. We need to retain as many of those that are still left.

To accomplish this, I propose the following:
NW Player Appreciation Days (NWPAD)
Dates: June 18 - July 3, 2012

What is NWPAD?
Glad you asked. NWPAD would be a community-wide celebration of the most important component of our community: our players. The idea is that participating PWs would host events throughout those days (2 weeks +1 day) in celebration of their playerbase and encourage new players to visit. This could be through hosting "social days" where players can just lounge about enjoying each other's company to special roleplay events for veterans and new players.

As a special cross-PW event, I'd like to propose that we have a player challenge, such as an around-the-world-in-80-days event where players need to acquire a piece of information or a code (gained by "checking-in" with a PW's admin/DM). Players who achieve a certain number of these codes could redeem them for valuable cash and prizes in the participating world of their choice (e.g. XP, gp, or items of proportional worth in-game).

Ultimately, the goal is to let players know how much we appreciate them taking time out of their lives to live in our worlds.

Those who are interested can form a subgroup to determine the specifics.

So, who's in?

this is something that dalakora will be participating in.

the details are not quite concrete yet, but at the very least i'll be dropping in a black crate into lowbie type levels for people to find. the goal is to encourage players of other PWs to tour and visit new places to expand their horizons, so the crates should be easy to find for new players. perhaps as time goes on, they will get progressively harder to find.

i'm sharing the code with the other PWs participating in the event so that everyone should be using the same "treasure hunting" idea.

no word yet on additional events/contests/quests we will put together.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: NWN's 10 year anniversary!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 pm 
Elected Mayor of N. Manay

Dood is such a good leader. Is there anything as mayor that I should do at this time? I admit, I'm not much of a help with the development, but if there is anything I can do as mayor, just let me know. I know that my mayor's staff allows me to transport groups of people to different Manayan places, but I could also make pools available. It may be expensive for me to create all of these, but drB and I could go kill some titans to give me extra funds for this event.

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm 
DM

Personally I think the Mayor should have his allowance doubled during this event

And of course we WILL need rooftop fireworks in the fairgrounds!

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
Elected Mayor of N. Manay

In preparation, I guess I need to learn how to do rooftop fireworks, because I've never figured out how to do those in the fairgrounds.

Taking new people to tour the statues in glory mile might also be something to consider.

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
DM

People just go to the rooftop and then you place the barrel on the sidewalk so they can all get a better view of the fireworks.

To save mayor money maybe the DMs can do the firework shows. I know I will!

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:25 am 

Great to have cool stuff to look forwards to 8-)

My only personal reservations are regarding "compatability issues" with other servers, ie will i have to load up a whole load of hakpacks and stuff so i can play and participate :?:

This is the only PW i have ever played on, maybe some players will have toons on other servers already :?: { I think InZane is playing on the 3 Towns server for example}

Should i be preparing by making lowbie toons on other servers, or will i be able to do everything by porting through using the toons i already have :?:

Anyway, a big thanks to all those involved in this extravaganza :D

All the Best .......Blade :D

PS when available a list of other participating servers would be of some interest :)

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 am 
DM

the official list will be here:

http://social.bioware.com/project/8263/ ... ion/79857/

and yes, all the different hak packs that are required can be a pain. i've always strived to keep dalakora as hak free as possible just because i find it annoying.

each server should be posting their address and the list of required files in order to play on that server.

the intent is that you don't have to pre-play on a server to level up to a degree before you can participate in that server's hunt. i'm pushing to require no more than an hour or two of effort to get a guy to a high enough level to be able to find the chest each day. that means levels 2-5ish.

i'm sure that nobody will be allowing you to import characters into their server vaults, but if you pre-make a guy on another server i'm sure you'll be allowed to use him.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 am 
DM

the mayor (and other players of course) is welcome to assist and tour our guests to dalakora during the NWPAD time. touring the glory mile and explaining the honors bestowed upon players is an excellent idea.

vudash will gladly donate to the mayor's coffers to help cover some expenses incurred during the event. i know it's still about a month out, so we'll have to wait to see if there is an election during that time period.

i also created the official events thread here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1875&start=0.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am 
DM

i meant to post yesterday to give a full two weeks reminder of the NWPAD celebration.

the official world walker challenge begins on 18 june with the 0700 EDT (1100 GMT?) restart. get a new or lowbie guy and start hunting!

here is some more information about the community-wide event:
http://nwpad.weebly.com/ (specifically: http://nwpad.weebly.com/for-players.html)

and a better list of participating worlds (including required haks and whatnot):
http://social.bioware.com/project/8263/ ... ion/79857/

as previously mentioned, dalakora will reward one prize code per restart from 18 june to 3 july. there will also be some (VERY) nice prizes should any of the three top world walkers choose to redeem their prize here.

it should be loads of fun - get some buddies and go explore other worlds together! this guy (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 3#12263662) is looking for some company as he tours.

and one final reminder - our official NWPAD events thread will contain hints and clues for the NWPAD chests, and organize specifics of any special quests or custom areas.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1875

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 am 
DM

one week to go until the celebration starts! huzzah!

now would be a good time to make sure you have the haks, downloads, and whatnots installed to play on other servers for the world walker challenge! i know some servers plan to have their prize claim codes stored statically in the welcome area, so they're an easy way to bump up your entries in the challenge each day.

some other worlds (dalakora included) will be moving it each day, so there will be a little more investment necessary.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm 

I'm too scared to muck up my instalation by installing loads of haks and downloads, like the different CEP paks used on the other servers etc. I know you have invested a lot of time and effort into this dood, but i think i will be happier just doing my normal routine. I had envisaged having to swap out haks and downloads between each login to one of the other worlds, are you saying that it is possible to just install a "list" of additional things and then just sit back and forget about the changes :?:
I understand that it is possible to participate in a small way just on Dalakora, i forget the title for this lowest form of involvement {Voyager/ Tourist :?: } :roll:
The thing is, that knowing my luck, i am likely to make my NWN fail or unstable in some way. Are these fears groundless :?:

I still dont understand which CEP pack to install etc when we have 2.1 and others have 2.3 & 2.4 etc. This is not a suggestion, but did you ever consider "Standardising" by updating/ upgrading all the participating servers before the event :?:

All the Best for the event.........Blade :)

OfflineProfile E-mail  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm 
DM

i also don't understand all of the differences in haks and things, but they're designed to not interfere with each other.

some players on the forums claim to have 100s of different haks installed. each PW's module should only look for a particular set of player-side haks and ignore everything else.

at the very least, if you're that worried about it, just zip up your original hak directory before installing new stuff. then you can delete the entire thing when you're done and unzip the original. doing this will ensure that your NWN installation won't break for dalakora.

and of course, there's no reason why you can't just participate on dalakora. you'll still earn the prizes local to this server. we'll be having a prize for the local player who finds the most prize codes on this server. you would just not be very likely to win the overall world walker challenge, where all prize codes collected from all servers (on per server per day) would count towards the total.

and no, there was never a discussion to try and get all servers to standarize on a specific set of haks. that would be unfeasible. even if we got everyone to agree on a particular CEP, each server has its own set of special haks and things they want/need.

i've begun to realize that dalakora is a rarity in such that it ONLY requires CEP. even if it's an old one. i briefly considered updating dalakora to a newer version of CEP awhile back, but i don't like upgrading things just for the sake of upgrading them.

OfflineProfile